The Theater, as a cultural activity, was introduced in Constantine in 1854. He was held in a private building, the Sea of thatch, located at the Caraman Street.
In 1856, the prefectural administration of the time projected the construction of a theater. This project could not be completed due to lack of suitable land acquisition (entrance to the city). In 1868 the emperor ceded free municipal administration part of his land. Before the pretension to create a remarkable work, the City Council is organizing a competition among architects. Projects are reviewed; then selected and sent to the judgment of the Department of Fine Arts in Paris. The architect Paul Gion is proclaimed winner of the competition. Design Constantine theater is rectangular Italian type. It covers a total area of 1568 m2 and has 800 seats .